Well, after thinking and sweating over telling our friends and family of our full time RVing plans, we have begun the process. All along we have felt it was important to let everyone know about our future, we have just not been sure just how to do it. Our best idea was to have a party in the summer, after Patrick graduates from high school and invite all our friends and family at one time and fill everyone in at once. It seemed this would not only be a ton of fun, but everyone would be able to ask questions and talk to us in one venue. Although this seemed like the our best idea, it just will not be possible to keep the information in that long.
Several factors play into the issue, not the least of which is a growing number of questions and confusion as to how we are living now and all the changes we have made. By changes, namely mean selling everything in sight and taking anything we plan to keep up to our cabin for storage after our departure. Our condo is really looking more and more like a hotel than a home. Basically everything that we have left here will either be stored at the last moment for Patrick’s future apartment, or sold off and or donated. Both Toni and I are noticing that people are getting confused by what is going on. After all, we have gone from a big house and workshop on a large lot to a small condo with continued liquidation of “things”. On top of this, the fact the our electrical contracting company is basically nothing more than a one man show, me being the man. As the months mount, it just feels like people are getting concerned about our sanity. Toni also had recent news that her father is considering moving back to Arizona later this year. Based on all these factors, we decided we will need to start letting people in on the news before they send the looney wagon for us.
While on a recent motorhome trip to Quartzite, we decided to jump in. Toni had the honor of making the first announcement to her dad, via phone call to Ohio. The response was interesting, he thought we were just downsizing again and we would park the motorhome in a trailer park in Phoenix and live there. Wow, did not expect that reaction. So, Toni spent some time explaining that we are not downsizing, but actually going to move into the RV and be on the road exploring the country by choice, not due to lack of work or the economy. With that explanation, he understood the plan………not really sure what he thinks, but at least it is out there. That same night, we decided to contact Toni’s sister in Idaho. We elected to test our what most likely is going to become a fairly regular communication method for us, Skype. We set up the ipad on the tripod and planted ourselves on the couch in the motorhome, sort of felt like we were getting set to be interviewed or interrogated. It was a really fun conversation, the reaction from her sister was a bit of shock and we could tell she was just trying to process the whole idea. Her husband was just excited, think he wants to join us! It was an interesting conversation and we generally think they are excited for us.
Having made these initial calls, we are feeling a little more at ease with the process. Now it is just a matter of continuing to spread the word and picking groups we need to contact all within the same day so the news comes from us and not Facebook or rumor. We have broken down into a few groups we need to contact and will do so over the next few weeks. It is our closest friends we are most nervous about bringing up the subject with. Our fear is they will assume we have certainly gone mad and need intervention. We went out to dinner last week with a couple that are our dearest friends and managed (I managed after Toni threw me under the bus!!) to bring up the subject after a few pints of beer. There was a bit of intense staring as they anticipated what “big news” Toni told them I had to share. There is a chance that they think we are a bit crazy, but hey, they didn’t pull out straight jackets for us.
So this coming week, actually starting tomorrow, we will break the news to my parents and sisters. My dad is heading to Mexico for a month and we want to inform them before they head down. We have plans to inform several in my family at the upcoming NASCAR camping outing at the end of February, and he will be in Mexico during that time and I do not want him to learn through the grapevine before we can tell them directly. So, we decided to tell my dad a bit early and request he not spread the word so we can make the mass notification for the rest of my family over NASCAR weekend.
That about sums up where we are. This is certainly a big step, which will be certain to brings questions and comments for a few months and that is a good thing. With this out of the way we will be able to focus on the next big life event on the horizon, our youngest son Patrick’s high school graduation. We have a graduation party to finish planning and prepare the celebration for him. Patrick has also been accepted to ASU in the computer science program and is all registered and we have orientation coming in a couple months. With that will come dorm selection and all the other fun that is the start of college life.
Look forward to making future updates and most likely I will release the blog and site to the public in the next couple of months. Another interesting step, I am curious if anyone really gives a hoot to read about our story and even consider following my ramblings as we prepare for and eventually embark on our journey!This entry was posted in Blog by Kurt Kuhl and comments are open.